Thursday, November 29, 2007

Believing the UNbelievable

My fiance and I just got our wedding rings yesterday from his Aunt. In our excitement we tried it on. Today, when I got back to work and mentioned it to my two officemates they gasped and said it was bad luck to try on the wedding rings before the wedding. One had a son who bought their rings from Saudi Arabia since he and his fiance worked there. When they got back here my officemate had it changed. Same thing happened to my other officemate. Her mother-in-law insisted they get new ones.

Of course I didn't believe that. Even the superstition that brides shouldn't try on their wedding gowns before the wedding. I can't exactly do that because my gown was a strapless one. One wrong measurement and it will definitely fall off!

This got me thinking... what other weird beliefs and/or superstitions are out there?!

Rumor has it that couples should marry when the second-hand of the clock is going up instead of going down. For example, 2:30pm or 10:45am.

When a newly married couple enters their home, the groom should carry the bride over the threshold because if the bride should stumble entering the home, it is a bad omen.

A week before the wedding, have a house-cat eat out of your left shoe for good luck.

It is bad luck for the bride to remove her engagement ring before the day of her wedding.

Chinese superstition says that carrying an open red umbrella over the bride will protect her from evil spirits.

If your dress is ripped on the day before your wedding, it means that your marriage will end in death!

Hmmm... there's more but it all ends the same, bad luck or death. I don't know, I really don't believe there but I won't stop you from believing...

4 comments:

emily said...

this was really interesting to read! thank you for this post!

Anns said...

That's really interesting... and kinda freaky at the same time! Thanks for sharing it, I'll make sure none of it happens with my wedding! =)

yalingjewelry said...

That's really interesting
thanks for share
http://www.925-silver-wholesale.com

Badeth said...

An interesting read! I'd like to know what will happen next... :-)